Thursday, April 15, 2010

Same old, same old?...no..Different New! Different New!

Easter Sunday and a Birthday celebration. Bringing together some friends for fun times! Thank you, to my friends and faith family for your prayers and support!





Cake anyone? Cakes here are the same as Taiwan, Japan, and Viet Nam. Yes, mother, I do miss those full pans of cherry-chip cake, but these are pretty darn good, too. (and very ornate!)






Hey there party people!! It's a new day and a new situation. New year of life. Many reasons to give thanks and praise to our Creator and Sustainer of Life! (And my parents of course!!)



As I enter into this Friday full of a variety of plans, to dos, and hopes - I want to share a lesson I learned the other day. It happened while I was "teaching". It's rather neat how that happens: learning more while teaching!



My student, who is basically my father's age, was reading through a magazine article and the title of the section said, "Same old, Same old". I explained that it meant the monotony (didn't use that word; I am surprised I remember some of my vocabulary...) of life. As we picked up on conversation and used this phrase again, we talked about my situation and how I have been in a few different places in my life.



Different people and locations, different ideas and worldviews, different ways to show respect and love.



End result? As I said the phrase and it related to: work, food, activities...the words came to mind for me were not "Same old, Same old"...rather "Different New, Different New". My student and I laughed and enjoyed the rest of the article.


(Maybe you had to be there....)


Soooo. what's new with you??


A firehouse-turned-museum. Collections of older and newer equipment. Lots of pictures and documentation over the years. Pretty cool stuff.



Here is the "sign-in" book for church. Very similar to the churches in Japan. In some ways, same old, same old...but in other ways: Pretty neat to see the English names and Chinese names next to each other. Brothes and Sisters joining to give honor and praise to our God of gods.


No comments: