Sunday, April 25, 2010

For the kids sake

Walking down the mosaic tiles of the city.

About to play some tennis


Climbing the walls at the Firehouse-turned-museum here in Macau.

"Fathers, do not be hard on your children, instead, bring them up in training and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

This could probably also be read as "Mothers, Teachers, or any random adult who has anything to do with a child, teenager, or younger person..." Most likely it means, you too.
Also, the phrase "do not be hard" was translated as "exasperate".. I know there are many people who think "big words = too difficult or too serious", but this is truth, actually it is Truth, capital "T".

As I read this morning, I was reminded of why I got into education and why I love working with other people. We are all children in need of instruction. As teachers, some of us have the privilege of it being our vocation or "calling". I thank my family for 'training me'...and my teachers for 'instructing me'. For those of you who prayed for me and specifically taught me about God's Love....and His Law-Rules...a big: Thank you, Xie Xie, Cam on, Arigato Gozaimus, Doe Gia.


Now, onto this devotion which has been plagiarized from "From Generation to Generation", by Barbour.

When he was 57 years old General Douglas MacArthur had his first and only son. This boy brought out the gentleness of the general. Here is a prayer entitled, "A Father's Prayer" which MacArthur wrote for his son:

"Build me a son, O God, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, but humble and gentle in victory. Build me a son, whose wishes will not replace his actions-a son who will know thee, and that to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.....

Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goal will be high, a son who will master himself before he seeks to master others; one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past, and after all these things are his, this I pray, enough sense of humor that he may always be serious yet never take himself too seriously. Give him the humility so that he may always remember the simplicity of true greatness, the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength; then I, his father, will dare to whisper, "I have not lived in vain."

What have you been learning about God? What have the children in your life know about the love of Jesus Christ?
Today, ask God about how to be a child of His....
and
ask Him how (...maybe "who"?) you can teach....

2 comments:

Elaine said...

'tis beautiful, brother.
very inspirational--love MacArthur's thing on "give me a son"--I have been yarping lately that G put on people's hearts to raise up sons who will be men of G...these days I think that is in shorter supply than perhaps the past...& I grieve over this. A godly man can impact so many people, foremost his own family, but it goes out from there, including his workplace, of course (whether he's in a place of authority or not) and then his neighborhood/community and church. And women are influenced greatly by men...and little girls adore fathers, big brothers and men in general, especially if they're approachable...
I liked the quote about being "into" a project instead of a Person...need to write that one down.
Thanks, James, for sharing your G-given creativity & heart.

James said...

Thank you, Elaine. Blessings to you and your ministry. May He always be at the front of your Class!