Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Modern History Month

 As a student, I recall usual celebrations of African-American/Black History Month. These often were a combination of those who had died within the last few generations or were, in fact, still living. Monumental and iconic names such as Frederick Douglass, Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks and numerous others would be recognized starting in January and going through the month of February. Being born in the late 70's, I didn't fully realize how close I was to the Civil Rights movement(s) and other very meaningful experiences of Black Americans. Now, I know. 

Although I should probably elaborate more on my background and current understandings on so many related matters to this topic, I want this to be a: 1.) process and 2.) inspiration. A process in the sense that I will put out my personal sharing along with some additional notes, research, and consideration of responses-replies as this month unfolds in the year 2022. An inspiration because I want to challenge others to do something similar for reasons that are important to you. 

Over the next 28+ days, I intend to recognize those Black Americans who have made an impact on my life. 

At first, I am thinking of just going through my personal timeline and start to name my first memories of interacting with African-American/Blacks. These are mostly teachers. As I move on through the month, there are a number of coaches and parents of my friends I would like to acknowledge. (Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the "I-Have-A-Black-Friend Club".) These men and women, Moms and Dads, Aunties and Uncles are mostly from my high school years. Then, I will share a bit about my experiences with Black Americans while being a young adult. Once I got into university and started having my first professional experiences, it brought about a more nuanced understanding with meaningful exchanges.  While I will never be able to speak to what life is like for Black Americans, I can speak to their direct impact on me because of our personal relationship. 

Without a doubt, it must be said that there were numerous Black Americans who were shaping my understanding of what life was like for people of color. Yet, I would never meet them personally. They were real people, but they were on T.V. and in the newspaper. I mostly just viewed them as: political leaders, sports figures (collegiate, Olympics, and professionals), entertainers (music, movies, comedians, etc.), and business leaders. Legitimate. Difference makers. Profound. However, their influence was for the masses of which I was just one of many. 

A quote attributed to celebrated tennis player Arthur Ashe says, "Being Black in America is like having a second, full-time job." Here's to those who had a particular job in my life; but also carried out their calling as representatives and ambassadors. I am thankful for these important figures for bringing about the respect, dignity, and honor that belongs to our fellow humans.

No comments: